- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Takeaway Classic: Baja Fish Tacos with Citrus Slaw & Spicy Lime-Garlic Mayo
Baja fish tacos are an exciting menu addition - takeaway or dine in, they appeal to healthy eaters and Mexican fans alike. With warmer months ahead now is the time to introduce fish tacos to menus. Light, crispy and fresh, these Baja fish tacos are loaded up with beer-battered Flathead fillets, tangy citrus slaw and a spicy garlic-lime sauce. A delicious take on a classic California favourite. Elements of this recipe can be prepped prior to service making our fish tacos a plate you can deliver to a tables in under 10 minutes. A dine in or takeaway option for cafes, pubs, clubs and restaurants
We use Pacific West's wild caught skinless Flathead fillets but these can be alternated with Pacific West's Hoki skinless fillets.
- Pacific West skinless Flathead fillets - fish tacos
- Black pepper - fish tacos
- Salt - fish tacos
- Pinch cayenne pepper - fish tacos
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin - fish tacos
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander - fish tacos
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic - fish tacos
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour - fish tacos
- 350ml lager beer - fish tacos
- Vegetable oil, for frying - fish tacos
- Corn tortillas - fish tacos
- Cilantro leaves, lime, sliced radishes, for garnish - fish tacos
- 1 tsp orange zest - citrus slaw
- 1/4 cup fresh-squeezed orange juice - citrus slaw
- 1 tbs lime juice - citrus slaw
- 1 tsp honey - citrus slaw
- pinch of salt and black pepper - citrus slaw
- 1/4 cup olive or avocado oil - citrus slaw
- 4 cups thinly shredded green cabbage - citrus slaw
- 2 cups thinly shredded red cabbage - citrus slaw
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, roughly chopped - citrus slaw
- 1 cup mayo - spicy lime-garlic mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream - spicy lime-garlic mayo
- 5 cloves garlic - spicy lime-garlic mayo
- 1 tbs lime zest - spicy lime-garlic mayo
- 1 tbs lime juice - spicy lime-garlic mayo
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper - spicy lime-garlic mayo
- 1/4 tsp salt - spicy lime-garlic mayo
For the spicy lime-garlic mayo
Place all ingredients into a food processor and blend until smooth and combined. Refrigerate until ready for use.
For the citrus slaw
Whisk together the orange zest, orange juice, lime juice, pinch of salt and pepper, honey, and oil until well-combined. Set aside. When ready to complete the dish, add both of your shredded cabbages and the cilantro into a medium-size bowl, and toss with a little of the spicy lime-garlic mayo dressing. Keep cold.
For the fish tacos
Add your skinless Flathead fillets to a bowl and season with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper, plus the cayenne, cumin, coriander and garlic powder; allow them to marinate for a few minutes. Prepare your deep fryer with the oil at 180C.
Whisk together the flour with a couple of pinches of salt and pepper, and slowly pour in the beer and whisk just until smooth; once the oil is hot, dip the pieces of Flathead fillets into the batter and fry for a 3-4 minutes or until golden-brown.
To assemble, add a couple of pieces of the fried fish to the bottom of a couple of corn tortillas, top with a generous amount of the slaw, drizzle the spicy garlic-lime sauce liberally over top, and finish with some extra cilantro and a squeeze of lime.
For our fish tacos we use Pacific West’s wild caught skinless Flathead fillets
Brand Pacific: West
Product number: 2775
Pack size: 5kg
Country of origin: Argentina
Add to Favourites