- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 3-4 minutes
Battered Whiting with Scrunched Cabbage Salad, Grapefruit and Chillies
Cabbage is a snappy base that can handle lots of refreshing acidity - in this case from torn grapefruit and hot and sour chillies. The pickled hot chillies are easy to make and infuse the vinegar, which creates a balanced, spicy and acidic liquid. Pair our scrunched cabbage salad, grapefruit and chillies with our battered whiting and you have a light Summer-style dish that will suit healthy eaters and fish lovers alike.
Perfect for cafes and pubs with an outdoor setting. Cook, plate and serve in under 10 minutes. Low on labour time, high on profit. This dish is a great addition to venues who need to turn tables efficiently. Serve with a side order of chips if you prefer.
- Pacific West Premium Battered Whiting
- 1 head of Chinese ( Napa) cabbage - cabbage salad
- ¼ cup pickled chile vinegar - cabbage salad
- 2 Ruby Red grapefruit - cabbage salad
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for drizzling - cabbage salad
- 1 cup mint leaves - cabbage salad
- 1 tbsp Pickled Hot Chiles
- 2 tbsp Sesame Salt
- 1 cup white wine vinegar - pickled hot chillies
- ¼ cup sugar - pickled hot chillies
- 1 tbsp kosher salt - pickled hot chillies
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed - pickled hot chillies
- 6 Fresno chillies, thinly sliced crosswise into rings - pickled hot chillies
For the scrunched cabbage salad, grapefruit and chillies
Cut cabbage in half lengthwise. Cut notch in base of each half to remove core; discard. Tear leaves into irregular pieces and place in a large bowl. Drizzle with vinegar and season with sea salt. Massage and scrunch cabbage firmly with your hands to soften and season leaves. Using a sharp knife, cut peel and white pith from grapefruit and discard. Cut grapefruit into quarters, then coarsely tear quarters into chunky pieces. Remove and discard any seeds or thick membranes. Add grapefruit to bowl with cabbage. Drizzle 2 tbsp oil over and toss to coat. Add mint and toss again. Transfer salad to a large platter. Drizzle with more oil and top with pickled chillies and sesame salt.
For the pickled hot chillies
Bring vinegar, sugar, salt, and garlic to a simmer in a small saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring to dissolve sugar and salt. Pour brine into a small heatproof jar or bowl, add chillies, and let cool.
For the battered whiting fillets
Deep fry 180C 2-3 minutes
We serve our cabbage salad with Pacific West’s wild caught school whiting fillets. Hand dipped in a unique batter these fillets have a sweet delicate flavour and are ideal in a premium fish & chips.
Product code: 1950 / Portions size 35 gm Ave / Portions per carton: Approx 28 / Carton size: 3 x 1kg
Recipe and image courtesy Bon appetit
Add to Favourites