- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Fish in Beer Batter, Tartare Sauce and Real Mushy Peas
Battered fish in a classic beer batter, chunky tartare sauce and authentic mushy peas served with your house made chips. Ideal for any venue that takes 'fish n' chips' seriously! The secret to great beer battered fish is a great beer batter recipe and premium fish fillets. We use Pacific West's Hoki skinless fillets. Stand out from the crowd with this authentic British delight, serve with your house made chips. Take away or dine in, either way you will have new patrons flocking to your venue when the word gets out!
- Pacific West Hoki fillets skinless
- 50g plain flour - beer batter
- 50g cornflour - beer batter
- 1 tsp baking powder - beer batter
- turmeric - beer batter
- 75ml lager beer - beer batter
- 75ml sparkling water - beer batter
- about 1 litre sunflower oil , for frying - beer batter
- 200ml/7fl oz mayonnaise - tartare sauce
- 3 tbsp capers, drained and chopped - tartare sauce
- 3 tbsp gherkins, drained and chopped - tartare sauce
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped - tartare sauce
- squeeze of lemon juice - tartare sauce
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh parsley - tartare sauce
- flaked sea salt and freshly ground black pepper - tartare sauce
- 300g of marrowfat peas - mushy peas
- 33g of bicarbonate of soda - mushy peas
- mint, freshly chopped - mushy peas
- parsley, freshly chopped - mushy peas
- lemon juice - mushy peas
- salt - mushy peas
- House made chips - to serve
For the beer batter
Combine the flour, cornflour, baking powder and turmeric in a large bowl, season, then spoon 1 tbsp onto a plate and set aside. Gradually pour the beer and water into the bowl, stirring with a wooden spoon until you have a smooth, lump-free batter. Leave to rest for 30 mins. Heat the oil in a fryer to 180C. (To test correct temperature a drop of batter sizzles and crisps up straight away.) Pat the fish dry with kitchen paper, then toss it in the reserved turmeric flour mix. Shake off any excess, then dip into the batter. Carefully lower each fillet into the hot oil and fry for approx 6-8 mins until golden and crisp. Using a large slotted spoon, lift out the fish, drain on kitchen paper, then sprinkle with salt.
For the mushy peas
Dissolve bicarbonate of soda in 200ml of water, add the peas cover with 4 inches of water above the peas. Soak for 24 hours.
Rinse well, cover with fresh water 3 inches above the peas, bring to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes. Allow to cool and season with salt and pepper. Finish with fresh mint, parsley, lemon and adjust seasoning
For the tartare sauce
Mix together all of the ingredients in a small bowl and serve straight away or store in the fridge until needed.
For our battered fish in a classic beer batter we use About Pacific West’s Hoki skinless fillets.
Product number: 2104
Size: 4/6oz, 6/8oz, 8/12oz, 12oz+
Pack size: 3×6.8kg
Country of origin: New Zealand