- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Beer Battered Flat Head & Citrus Salad with Fennel Vinaigrette
Keep it light with beer battered flathead fillets and a citrus salad. Crunchy sesame clusters in a bracing citrus salad pairs beautifully with Pacific West's beer battered flathead. With the salad dressing and sesame clusters made prior to service, this dish can be plated and served in under 10 minutes. A healthy menu option that can sit pride of place on lunch menus in any venue. Salad quantities for 8 servings.
For our flathead fillets with a citrus salad we use Pacific West’s Beer Battered Flathead Fillets. Premium Flathead fillets in a traditional beer batter. No preservatives.
Product Code: 1969 / Product Weight 50g Ave / Portions per Carton: 60 Ave / Carton Size: 3kg
- 1 large egg white - sesame clusters
- 3 tbs sugar - sesame clusters
- ½ tsp kosher salt - sesame clusters
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon - sesame clusters
- ¼ tsp ground cloves - sesame clusters
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg - sesame clusters
- 1 cup sesame seeds - sesame clusters
- ⅓ cup olive oil - dressing & salad
- ¼ small fennel bulb, finely chopped, plus ½ cup chopped fronds - dressing & salad
- 1 small shallot, finely chopped - dressing & salad
- 2 tbs finely chopped peeled ginger - dressing & salad
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed - dressing & salad
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar - dressing & salad
- 2 tbs honey - dressing & salad
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper - dressing & salad
- 4 navel oranges, blood oranges, tangerines, and/or grapefruit - dressing & salad
- 10 cups mixed hardy salad greens (such as radicchio, frisée, and/or endive) - dressing & salad
- 1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves - dressing & salad
For the sesame clusters
NB - Sesame clusters can be made 1 week ahead. Store airtight at room temperature
Preheat oven to 350°. Whisk egg white in a small bowl until slightly foamy; whisk in sugar, salt, cinnamon, cloves, and nutmeg. Add sesame seeds and toss to coat. Spoon sesame mixture in clumps on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 10–12 minutes. Let cool.
For the dressing & salad
NB - Dressing can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and chill.
Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add chopped fennel, shallot, ginger, and fennel seeds and cook, stirring often, until tender (do not let brown), 8–10 minutes. Mix in vinegar and honey. Let cool; season with salt and pepper. Finely grate 1 tsp. zest from 1 orange; set aside. Using a sharp knife, cut all peel and white pith from all oranges; discard. Cut between membranes to release segments into a medium bowl; discard membranes. Toss greens, parsley, fennel fronds, oranges, and dressing in a large bowl. Serve topped with sesame clusters and reserved orange zest.
For the beer battered flathead fillets
Deep fry 180C 4-5 minutes.
Fennel bulbs come into season in autumn and continue through winter. So now is the time to get cracking with great fennel dishes. Our beer battered flathead fillets pairs perfectly with this bright and flavoursome salad.
Recipe and image for the citrus salad courtesy Bon appetit
Add to Favourites