- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Authentic Tempura Prawn Banh Mi Sandwich
An authentic tempura prawn Banh Mi sandwich requires a French-style baguette. This dish will fast become a favourite with patrons looking for an exotic sandwich experience. Flavour, texture, crunchy prawn tempura, perfectly sweet and tangy pickled vegetables, all on a freshly baked French Baguette. Say no more! Perfect for cafes that want to elevate themselves from the local competition. Dine in or takeaway, it doesn't matter. One thing for sure is your patrons will be back for another one. Enjoy!
With the pickled vegetables and hoisin sauce mixture made prior to service, our Banh Mi sandwich can be made in about 6 minutes.
- Pacific West Tempura Prawns
- 1/2 large red onion peeled with the ends cut off and cut in half lengthwise - pickled vegetables
- 2 carrots peeled and cut in half crosswise - pickled vegetables
- 1/2 Korean radish or daikon cut in half lengthwise - pickled vegetables
- 3 cups white vinegar or apple cider vinegar - pickled vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups water - pickled vegetables
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt - pickled vegetables
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar - pickled vegetables
- 4 tbs hoisin sauce - hoisin sauce mixture
- 1 tsp sesame oil - hoisin sauce mixture
- 1/2 tsp Mirin - hoisin sauce mixture
- 1 clove garlic minced - hoisin sauce mixture
- 1 tsp honey - hoisin sauce mixture
- French bread baguettes, sliced open and lightly toasted
- 1/3 Green bell pepper cut in half and sliced thin lengthwise
- 1/3 medium sized zucchini cut into thin strips lengthwise or julienned
- Mayonnaise; optional
- coriander leaves
For the pickled vegetables
Slice red onion thinly. Remove the onions and blanch the sliced red onions in a saucepan of boiling water for about 2 minutes only. Drain and place directly into a mason jar. Julienne the carrots and radish, place into a separate mason jar. Heat the vinegar, water, salt and sugar in a medium-sized saucepan over high heat, whisking until all of the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a light boil and then pour over the red onions, carrots and radishes, individually in their mason jars. Let sit until the liquid has cooled, for about 25-30 minutes and place into the refrigerator overnight. The pickled vegetables will keep for several weeks in the refrigerator in the covered Mason jars.
For the hoisin sauce mixture
Place the hoisin sauce, sesame oil, mirin, minced garlic and honey into a small bowl and whisk until thoroughly incorporated. Taste and adjust any ingredients as necessary. Set aside.
For the tempura prawns
Deep fry 180C 2-3 minutes
To assemble the prawn tempura Banh Mi sandwich
If using, spread on some mayonnaise and then the hoisin sauce mixture in the toasted French bread baguette. Top with the fresh green bell pepper and zucchini strips. Layer on the shrimp tempura and top with the pickled vegetables and fresh cilantro. Serve with sriracha sauce and jalapeños if desired.
To save labour time and to ensure each serve of our tempura prawn Banh Mi sandwich is perfect, we use Pacific West’s Tempura Prawns. Premium peeled, tail on and straight prawns have been coated in a bubbly Japanese style coating.
Product code: 1983 / Portions size 33 gm Ave / Portions per carton: Approx 22 / Carton size: 4 x 700g
Add to Favourites