- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 5 minutes
Amazing Tempura Prawns with a Japanese Salad
Tempura prawns match perfectly with a classic Japanese style salad. The salad is essentially a cabbage salad with a wafu dressing. Wafu dressings, found in restaurants throughout Japan, traditionally comprise of vegetable oil, rice vinegar, and soy sauce. The cabbage and dressing can be prepared prior to service allowing this dish to be plated and served in about 5 minutes. This dish adds excitement to lunch and dinner menus and offers your venue a point of difference. Labour light, simple to make, this dish is perfect for any venues wanting to provide quality meals with minimal kitchen stress.
Image and recipe courtesy SBS
- 4 large white cabbage leaves, finely shredded
- 1 small carrot, cut into julienne
- 4 spring onions, thinly sliced
- black sesame seeds and shredded nori (see Note), to serve
- ½ small onion - Wafu dressing
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil - Wafu dressing
- 1 tbsp Japanese soy sauce - Wafu dressing
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar - Wafu dressing
- 2 tsp caster sugar - Wafu dressing
- 1½ tsp toasted white sesame seeds - Wafu dressing
- Pacific West's Tempura Prawns
For our Japanese salad
Place cabbage in a bowl of iced water and stand for 30 minutes to crisp. Meanwhile, to make dressing, grate onion (including juices) into a bowl. Add remaining ingredients to bowl, whisking to combine. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and refrigerate until needed. Dressing will keep refrigerated for up to 3 days. Makes ⅔ cup. Drain cabbage. Return to bowl, add carrot and spring onions, tossing to combine. Season, then toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve cabbage salad scattered with black sesame seeds and nori.
For the tempura prawns
Deep fry 180C 2-3 minutes
Drain cabbage. Return to bowl, add carrot and spring onions, tossing to combine. Season, then toss with enough dressing to coat. Serve cabbage salad scattered with black sesame seeds and nori.
For our tempura prawns & Japanese salad we use Pacific West’s Tempura Prawns
Product code: 1983 / Portions size 33 gm Ave / Portions per carton: Approx 22 / Carton size: 4 x 700gAdd to Favourites