- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
Authentic Thai Fish Stir Fry
Stir fry is a great addition to your takeaway or dine in line up. In this Thai dish known as 'padt char bpla', eggplant with the Thai varieties of apple and pea take centre stage in this fragrant dish. Our stir-fried fish with chilli, ginger and eggplants can be made to order within ten minutes and gives patrons the opportunity to experience a fresh, fragrant healthy fish option. Scaling up the curry paste will reduce turn around time. A great dish for larger cafes, bistros and hotels.
Image and recipe courtesy SBS
- 200 gms Pacific West Goldband skinless snapper fillets
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1½ tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra, to deep-fry
- 2 apple eggplants, quartered
- 5 pea eggplants
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled, thinly shredded
- 3 fresh green peppercorns stems
- 1 king brown mushroom, thinly sliced
- 1 snake bean, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 makrut lime leaves
- 1 long red chilli, thinly sliced on the diagonal
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 60 ml chicken stock
- 5 red bird’s-eye chillies, roughly chopped - curry paste
- 5 garlic cloves, roughly chopped - curry paste
- 6 cm piece galangal, peeled, sliced - curry paste
- 1 lemongrass stalk, white part only, sliced - curry paste
- 3 cm piece ginger, peeled, sliced - curry paste
- 10 black peppercorns - curry paste
For the stir-fried fish with chilli, ginger and eggplants
To make curry paste, place all ingredients in a mortar and pestle or small food processor and grind to a paste.
Cut the snapper fillets into into 5 cm pieces. Make sure there are no bones. Dust fish with flour, shaking off excess. Fill a wok or saucepan one-third full with oil and heat over medium heat to 180°C. Add fish and cook, turning, for 3 minutes or until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on paper towel and set aside.
Heat 1½ tbsp oil in a separate wok or frying pan over medium heat. Add curry paste and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until fragrant. Increase heat to high and add eggplants, ginger, peppercorns, mushroom, snake bean, makrut lime leaves and chilli, and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until vegetables are just tender. Add remaining ingredients and toss to combine. Add fish and cook for 2 minutes or until warmed through. Serve immediately.
In our stir-fried fish with chilli, ginger and eggplants we use Pacific West Goldband snapper fillets . Wild caught goldband snapper fillets skinless individually wrapped.Add to Favourites